Personal Support Worker (PSW)
If you are passionate about providing excellence in health care, THRIVE Housing and Support has an exciting opportunity for you. THRIVE Housing and Supports has plenty to offer those who want to grow and be the best in their field. Join our team and make a difference today!
PSWs are a foundational part of our support team. In this role, you will assist our clients in their activities of daily living by providing skilled care in an empathetic and nurturing manner.
The Personal Support Worker provides personal support and homemaking services to clients and families within the framework of THRIVE policies, procedures, and standards. Our PSWs collaborate with members of the healthcare team in meeting the needs of clients to attain an optimal level of independence and well-being.
Location: Peterborough and, City of Kawartha Lakes.
What Thrive offers:
- competitive compensation Start rate $22.14
- Quality Client Care Time
- Travel Compensation
- Permanent, part-time, casual, and relief positions
- Training and Development opportunities
- A supportive leadership team
- Paid time off
- A unionized environment
Key responsibilities include:
- Assisting clients with the personal care required for daily living including bathing, dressing, functional mobility and mobilization, feeding, wound care, etc.
- Providing hands-on compassionate services to clients with adherence to confidentiality, privacy, and a focus on maintaining dignity and encouraging independence.
- Providing cognitive, social, and emotional support to clients and families, including palliative care
- Ensuring clear and effective communication while promoting teamwork and good relationships with co-workers
- Responding to client and family concerns promptly and professionally, and in accordance with company policies
- Adherence to departmental and company policies and procedures in regard to documentation, infection control, fire and safety.
- Contributes to the development of the personal support care plan under the direction of the Management team (Director of Client Services).
- Reports verbally to the immediate supervisor any changes in the client’s or family's personal support needs or home situation necessitating a change in the personal support care plan.
- Performs personal support tasks reflecting the needs of the client and family. Tasks may include light cleaning, preparation of nutritious meals, assistance with medication administration, care of clothes, shopping for the client as required, and monitoring and maintaining household safety.
- Communicates with appropriate members of the Client Services Team regarding the management of the client's or family's homemaking, physical, and emotional needs and informs an immediate supervisor or Manager of any changes or concerns.
Education, Designations and Experience:
- High school diploma.
- Must possess a valid Personal Support Worker (PSW) certificate, have successfully completed the first year of a recognized nursing program, or possess the equivalent education/experience.
- Prior experience in community support, retirement or long-term care environment preferred.
- Must have a current Standard First Aid Certificate or CPR level C Certificate, if applicable to the work being performed.
- Some household management experience and experience working with individuals that have a physical disability, cognitive impairment, acquired brain injury, HIV/AIDS or are considered a high risk senior.
- Strong communication skills, both verbally and written
- Able to communicate effectively with clients and families in a clear and effective manner that demonstrates respect, empathy and understanding
- Good assessment skills
- Awareness of community resources
- Ability to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team or independently as required
- Able to take direction well
- Ability to adjust to working in different social and economic environments
- Communicating in a clear and effective manner, demonstrating respect, empathy and understanding
- The capacity to adhere to strict confidentially
- Must have access to a personal vehicle for work and possess both a current driver’s license and proof of vehicle insurance
- A current and original copy of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check
- A Vulnerable Sector Search and Check is required
- Available to work flexible hours and/or varied shifts
- The use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) will be required
Capabilities: Fast-paced Environment; Attention to Detail; Lift and carry using appropriate lifting techniques; Bend, push, pull, grip, reach, kneel, crouch using good body mechanics; Walk, sit, stand, climb stairs; Fine hand movements
THRIVE is committed to meeting the accessibility needs of persons with disabilities as part of our hiring process. We welcome and thank all applicants; however only those selected for interview will be contacted.